INTERNSHIPS & VOLUNTEERS WANTED
The IISOH Library & Museum needs lots of help!
We have four (4) INTERNSHIPS available to university students who are juniors, seniors or graduate students. An INTERN, once accepted, can earn up to 3 credits towards their degree. The IISOH signs a contract with the department, the college or the university governing the internship which serves like a 1, 2 or 3 credit course with 30 hours of work required for each credit. Three evaluations are made during the internship and a grade is given at the conclusion of the contract. The credits are then granted by your university towards your degree. Meetings are held face-to-face at the beginning of the internship to establish the project(s). Subsequent meetings are held at varying intervals dependent upon the project.
Regular communication can be maintained via telephone, emails and video conferencing as well as in-person. An internship is an unpaid position and a learning experience for the student. The student is required to utilize all of the coursework that has been studied in their educational history and to bring enthusiasm and effort to a specific project. All projects are specifically designed to the needs of the Institute and the student so that both benefit. It is expected that the student will, through practical experience, better learn the theories they have studied. The Institute benefits from the enthusiastic and knowledgeable efforts of the student in order to enhance the various missions of the non-profit corporation.
The student does not engage in fundraising or grant writing unless the internship is specifically designed to do so through their University coursework (we are aware of only one University with such a course at this time). Finally, some universities permit a maximum of six credits earned through an internship. The IISOH would permit a second internship only if the first internship of three credits is "excellent" with a final grade of "A" or "3.5/4.0" or "1" in the European scale.
University students in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania are encouraged to apply for internships. University students anywhere else, in the USA, Canada, the entire world... are welcome to apply. All work is conducted in American English with additional work in German and French. Students with other language skills are encouraged to apply and they are needed for this project!
The IISOH has a tremendous need for over 500 volunteers. Yes - five hundred! More is better.
The vast bulk of our need is in marketing, advertising and networking within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, then in the rest of the USA, then the rest of the world. We need people to distribute our advertising brochures to sports organizations at every level - from youth sports groups and teams, to all schools in every district, to all semi-professional and professional sports organizations. We need to get all sports media involved, all Physical Educators, all coaches in every sport. A direct mailing cost is prohibitive and we believe that personal contact is far and away superior in order to generate enthusiasm.
Volunteers do not participate in fund-raising. They do marketing and advertising instead, they distribute brochures or help in other ways to do get information to the public. For example we need VOLUNTEERS to do the social media on FACEBOOK and TWITTER. We need volunteers to serve as actors and actresses in videos that we can post on YouTube as well as Public television stations. We need artists to design posters that we can print and publish under the SPORT IN ART PROJECT. We need researchers who love sport history to help build the NATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE DIRECTORY which covers 205 countries. We need people to help research every sport from ARCHERY to WRESTLING so we can build a sport history page for that sport. We need web developers who are willing to help under the supervision of our professional web designer at www.iisoh.org and help to maintain the alternate web site at www.sportlibrary.org. Sometimes we need strong bodies to help move boxes of books that weigh 30-50 pounds each onto a truck, off the truck and into a warehouse.
Pennsylvania has 12.5 million citizens in 67 counties. Children go to school in 501 school districts. The IISOH primarily serves this market but that is just the beginning. It is a big world and we need to focus small - at first. We need our volunteers to communicate this project to all Pennsylvania citizens -- so we want at least 5 to 10 volunteers in each county (that means 335 to 670 volunteers). We encourage groups to become involved such as sororities, fraternities, community service organizations, and sports clubs and teams. Below are just some of the positions that need to be filled but there are many more.
The general goals of this internship and volunteer program is:
- To assist in the development of a widespread marketing campaign to inform the public about the IISOH Library & Museum and its mission.
- To assist in marketing and advertising the various fundraising campaigns that are planned in order to develop the permanent endowments.
To assist in research, writing and publishing quality educational articles for the website and print publications.
To assist in the social media needs including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and others.
- To generate ideas and/or create designs for posters in the SPORT IN ART POSTER SERIES
- To generate widespread public support for the IISOH mission.
- To translate material from English into other languages for publications in print and online.
CHARTER MEMBERSHIP CAMPAIGN (aka)
THE MILLION DONOR CAMPAIGN
Briefly stated - the campaign is designed to solicit a one time (once-in-a-lifetime) donation from members of the general public to become a "CHARTER MEMBER" of the Institute. This broad campaign is intended to solicit small donations from large numbers of donors - we seek one million (1,000,000) individual donors in order to create a $25,000,000 endowment. This would be in a permanent trust fund that would generate funding on a quarterly basis to provide perpetual support for the administrative division of the IISOH (rents, salaries, utilities, etc.). This public campaign supplements the higher priced campaign that solicits "naming opportunities" from the business and corporate world - donations that range from $250,000 to $30 million. For every twenty million Dollars that can be generated for endowments the IISOH estimates that we can employ approximately 32 people.
Unlike other non-profits -- the IISOH wants to acknowledge a donor's support for a lifetime while never asking for a second donation. Once a person donates $25.00 we are grateful and do NOT want to return year-after-year to ask for more. There are too many worthwhile non-profits and we have no desire to compete with any of them. Our dream is to have a limited fundraising campaign that creates perpetual support and then we can focus entirely on our educational, literary and research missions. Therefore once a donor has generously given us support -- we will never ask them again.
Ideally -- if every Pennsylvania citizen donated just two Dollars ($2.00) -- then the IISOH could develop an endowment of $25,000,000! If every American donated a single Dollar bill ($1.00) - then the IISOH could have an endowment of $325,341,326. This is quite a challenge that would take a lot of time. If we received 1,000 donations every day it would still take us 891 YEARS to get one Dollar from everyone, assuming they live long enough. Hmmm. We prefer to get lots of help to ask these good folks for their support as soon as possible.
The IISOH has agreed to acquire the original bronze statue of ROCKY #3, made famous by Sylvester Stallone's movies.
The ROCKY #3 Acquisition, the BOXING ENDOWMENT and
the OPERATING FUND
A 95 day marketing and advertising campaign (January 3, 2018 to April 5, 2018) will be used in this combined fundraising campaign to acquire the statue, support the Operating Fund and to create an endowment for the sport of BOXING. Several different marketing campaigns will be utilized in order to achieve the goal of raising $3.5 million Dollars. One campaign will be in the crowdfunding sector, another campaign will be via ebay. A third campaign is limited to central Pennsylvania and a fourth campaign has a focus on Pennsylvania's 67 counties.
The IISOH publishes posters that are designed to promote the subject of SPORT IN ART. This rubric includes art in all forms of media such as photography, painting, sculpture, etc. The posters are designed to promote both SPORT IN ART as well as a specific sport such as GYMNASTICS or BASEBALL. The first poster that was published was for the sport of WRESTLING. The second poster was GYMNASTICS. Five more gymnastics posters are planned over the next 24 months, three male and three female subjects. We are using the sports photography of an outstanding Czech photographer to design action posters for artistic gymnastics.
The SPORT IN ART POSTER SERIES
At this time we are marketing the GYMNASTICS poster on a wholesale basis to sports organizations worldwide (see the gymnastics page here: Sport In Art - GYMNASTICS. We need volunteers to market this poster to every gymnastics team and club in the USA, CANADA, and the rest of the world, so foreign language skills would be very useful in this project. We currently have brochures printed in English, German and Polish. Several more translations are in progress and will be available shortly in Russian, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian and Chinese. We still need more translations so language skills are very desirable.
Artists, photographers and graphic designers are also welcome. We plan to design and publish posters on over 200 sports subjects. In the next four years we plan to publish posters on such sports as golf, baseball, football, basketball, ice hockey, soccer, track & field/athletics, volleyball, swimming and judo. But that is just the beginning - we want artists to get involved and submit their work to us for consideration of any sport - even those not just mentioned. To this end we plan to have periodic solicitations for specific sports, ie: art contests to select a new design for a specific sports poster.
This long-term, permanent project could also be called "HONOR GIVING" or "TRIBUTE PAGE." This project generates funds for the Operating Endowment. It is an opportunity for someone to commemorate a special event or a person such as a friend, family member, coach or teammate. The purpose of this campaign is to HONOR or "pay TRIBUTE to" someone in perpetuity. It is an open opportunity to honor a person who is loved or respected for almost any reason or purpose. It can be used to honor graduations, weddings, childbirth, birthdays, anniversaries, confirmations, bar mitzvahs, success in a sports event (championships), receipt of awards...this is only limited by one's imagination.
The HONORARIUM CAMPAIGN
There are two choices: a one-time donation of either twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) for a single line listing or two-hundred-fifty Dollars ($250.00) for a line listing that links to a web page. The web page can be hosted on the IISOH servers forever or link to another location that is not under IISOH control. The donor can use their own web page if they so desire. We prefer to build the HONOR/TRIBUTE page ourselves and host it on the IISOH servers to guarantee the perpetuity of the honorarium. The donor can customize the text of the linked web page and add photos or videos. The IISOH staff can do the actual web page design or they can submit it ready-made. However it must be approved by the IISOH before it is posted online.
We need volunteers to market this project in Pennsylvania, in North America and worldwide. We would want every baby that is born, every child that has a birthday, every student that graduates from high school and universities - all of them - to be honored at our web site forever. That can be a lot of people - so it is a lot of work. The potential here is vast and unlimited.
Once the IISOH is funded this will be available as a paid position. While there is no guarantee that any volunteer would be hired at a later date, it is absolutely desirable to find volunteers who are so good that the IISOH wants to keep them as either part-time or full-time staff members. Repeat: there is no guarantee of future employment, but outstanding performance can lead to a paid position.
Below are some examples of honorariums:
The donor can write and customize the text, add pictures and videos - even design the page themselves. The page is then approved or edited as needed before it is posted - permanently. No changes or additions will be made after it is posted unless there are errors to be corrected.
- The Smith family congratulates the Jones family on the birth of their first child, Jonathan, April 1, 2017.
- The Jones family congratulates Samuel Smith on his graduation from Lower Slobovia University, June 5, 2017.
- Martha and Henry Brown congratulate their son, Justin, on celebrating his 21st birthday, November 1, 2017.
- Martha and Henry Brown congratulate their son, Justin, on his marriage to Jenifer Blue, November 5, 2017.
- Robert and George Johnson congratulate their parents, George, Sr. and Helen, on celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary.
- Cynthia Miller extends her heartiest congratulations to her best friend, Barbara Taylor, on the occassion of her placing first at the national fencing champions in October 2015.
Donors can create a web page that would be a link from the line listing such as this:
- Here is an example of what can be done with an honorarium page as done at an Israeli cycling website
This is exactly like the HONORARIUM campaign as it is a long-term, permanent project "IN MEMORY OF" someone. This project also generates funds for the Operating Endowment. It is an opportunity for someone to MEMORIALIZE a loved one such as a family member, a friend, coach or teammate. It can also be a memorial to someone they idolize but do not know, such as a famous personality. The purpose of this campaign is to HONOR the MEMORY of someone who has passed away, it is a way to "pay TRIBUTE to" someone in perpetuity after death. It is an open opportunity to honor a person who is loved or respected after death. The only limitations are over photographs of famous people which might not be permitted if there are copyright violations.
The MEMORIAL CAMPAIGN
Here are two examples of MEMORIALS:
Mr. Joe M. Bohannon, Tulsa, OK., in memory of Captain Josiah Henson.
Donors can create a web page that would be a link from the line listing such as this:
IISOH Board in memory of Capt. Josiah Henson, USN, retired
The ultimate goal of the IISOH is to construct a Library and Museum
on a comprehensive sports complex in central Pennsylvania that is
approximately 600 to 6,000 acres in size and to support this educational, literary and
research Institute with a permanent endowment of $300 million or more.
The IISOH is seeking up to four student interns and 500 or more volunteers for the many projects
that are planned. Backgrounds, majors or personal interests in the following areas are desired:
- Publicity and/or Public Relations
- Video production, including actors, directors, camera operators
- Graphic arts and design
- Web page development and design
- Architecture and landscape architecture
- Fundraising organization and implementation
- Collection development in the Library & Museum
- Art history
- Sport History
- Physical Education - Sport studies - Kinesiology
- Recreation and parks
- Research and organizational operations
- Library science
- Museum studies
- Foreign language (non-English) translators
Students can earn from 1-3 credits at their university through programs sponsored by their departments. All positions are temporary, unpaid positions with no guarantee of future employment. The student intern benefits through the practical experience of volunteering for a non-profit educational corporation while earning university credit(s) towards their degree. Positions may be continued between semesters and through the summer vacations with permission from their university.
Although we are located closest to the Pennsylvania State University and Lock Haven University, we encourage students from any university in Pennsylvania and elsewhere in the the United States and Canada to apply for an internship. The work can be completed via email, telephone and video conferencing with the IISOH. Meetings in-person are held at a convenient location in State College, Pennsylvania.
An Intern should have an academic background in one of the areas listed above so that they can draw upon their educational experience and have a practical experience for one semester assisting the IISOH in developing its collections and endowments and earn from 1-3 university credits for their efforts.
Excellent organizational skills required.
English language skills essential - secondary language skills a plus.
Interest in, or passion for, one area of the IISOH subject matter -- Sport, Physical Education, Recreation, Dance, Art or the Olympic Games -- would be very helpful.
People are needed to do the following:
- Organize and execute a variety of marketing campaigns.
- Design publicity, promotional and marketing material such as brochures, flyers, posters, newsletters and booklets.
- Write, direct and produce videos for YouTube amd Public television broadcasts.
- Assist in the present and future creation and development of web site pages and web site design.
- Assist in the creation and development of online donation solicitations via secure applications with donations deposited directly to the Institute's bank account in State College, PA.
- Research and organize potential markets for the Charter Membership Fundraising Campaign.
- Assist the Board of Directors in executing a $3.5 million fundraising campaign to establish the Operating Fund, Endowment and acquisition funds for ROCKY #3, an original bronze statue.
- Research and execute a fundraising campaign to solicit $25 Charter Membership donations from every business owner in Pennsylvania (a once in a lifetime donation).
- Research and execute a fundraising campaign to solicit Charter Membership donations of $25 from every family in Pennsylvania (a once in a lifetime donation).
- Research a potential fundraising campaign to solicit $25 Charter Membership donations from every business owner in other states in the USA and Provinces in Canada (a once in a lifetime donation).
- Research a potential fundraising campaign to solicit $25 Charter Membership donations from every Physical Education teacher in the USA and Canada (a once in a lifetime donation).
- Research a potential fundraising campaign to solicit $25 Charter Membership donations from every Physical Education (Sport) teacher in Germany, France, Great Britain, Italy, Spain and Greece (a once in a lifetime donation).
- Research a potential fundraising campaign to solicit $25 Charter Membership donations from every Physical Education (Sport) teacher in other nations worldwide (a once in a lifetime donation).
- Research and prepare ideas for other types of fundraising plans such as memorial or honorial plaques, bricks or other form of physical display.
- Design and prepare theoretical drawings and/or plans for a 600+ acre sports complex to house the IISOH.
- Design and prepare a variety of theoretical architectural plans for various facilties including a Library, Museum, Theater, restaurant/cafe, and variety of indoor and outdoor sports facilities.
- Research and establish a plan to approach potential donors from the Fortune 500 companies for donations between $1 million and $30 million in order to establish named endowments.
- Research and establish a plan to approach a wide variety of national and international sports organizations for donations to endow their specific sport or activity. For example -- approaching the Pittsburg Pirates or Philadelphia Phillies for a $1 million donation to establish the baseball endowment.
- Research and establish a plan to approach a wide variety of international entities, such as the government of Greece or major Greek corporations, philanthropists or other entities for donations to help construct a facility, such as the replica of the ancient stadium of Olympia.
- Research and identify potential donors of quality material and/or collections for the Library and Museum.
- Assist in researching, writing and submitting grant proposals to various foundations and philanthropic organizations for capital funding, endowment funding and organizational support.
- Expand upon these ideas to research and establish alternative plans for the development of the endowment.
- Develop a thoretical investment plan for IISOH endowments with a goal of achieving a minimum return of six percent (6%) per annum.
See your advisor or department chair for arranging the internship.
Contact Mr. Abrams at the IISOH via email: